What’s on your must-have list for Second Grade?
By this time students have had experience writing and reading. They are comprehending things at a higher level and are starting to get their hands on more complicated stories and books.
This is when your students are really coming into themselves.
It is exciting to see students learning things from a more factual standpoint and getting to know who they are, not just students, but people.
Second Grade is BIG and so are your Second Grade Must-Haves!
Now they know what to expect when they start the school year.
Maybe, that puts a little bit more pressure on the teachers. Maybe, since there are now expectations from your students. So, things become a little more nerve-wracking.
Not to worry, Education to the Core has your back and we are here to make sure that those second graders have the best year by giving you the must-haves you need for a successful school year.
Second Grade Must-Have Resources
This is a list of resources that are virtually no prep, can be adapted to remote learning, and are fun and engaging.
- I Spy Hidden Sight Words: I Spy Hidden Sight Words is the perfect addition to your high-frequency word routines – use this after you analyze and map the words with your students for extra practice reading and writing them.
- I Spy Phonics: Education to the Core heard your calls and developed an entire resource dedicated to phonics-based I Spy activities. But Beyond just the phonics skills practice, these worksheets help your students strengthen their visual discrimination while building their attention and focus skills.
- Transformation Station: Showcase your students as the creative thinkers, artists, and visionaries they’ve always been. With 90 pages of creative designs and guided instructions, your kids will think outside of the box in no time! Just hit print and let their cleverness burst through. These activities are unique because they encourage both creativity while also being academic.
- I Have, Who Has: These NEW I Have, Who Has Games are a great way to get your students focused and engaged with practicing new skills or reviewing old ones!
- 180 Journal Prompts: Get your students’ creative juices flowing with these quick-write journal prompts.
More Second Grade Must-Have Resources
- Emergency Sub Plans: Having to call a sub is stressful enough without having to worry about planning too. Editable Sub Plans has everything you need to leave for a sub. This includes a general information guide, outlined instruction for activities, and 5 days of plans for the beginning, middle, and end of the school year.
- Directed Drawing: Drawing activities are perfect for students to have an opportunity to connect art to writing & other crucial ELA skills.
- Editable Spelling: A resource that can be used with ANY spelling list!
- September Social Studies Unit: Education to the Core has created an all-inclusive Social Studies Unit that can be used for any grade between K-3. This unit includes teaching slides, Student workbook activities, read-aloud suggestions, and so much more.
- Reading Comprehension Passages: There are 120 Digital 2nd Grade Passages in total. Each of the 12 months includes 10 themed passages you can assign throughout the year.
- ETTC Premium: If all of these must-haves sound like they will put a strain on your wallet, sign up for ETTC Premium for $10 a month and have unlimited access to these resources and thousands of others.
Second Grade Classroom Supplies
At ETTC we know that style and functionality go hand in hand. And neither one of them is more important than the other. Because things have to be cute too, right? This is a list of supplies that are cute, useful, and designed to help you make it through the school year.
Second Grade Must-Have Books
Some have said that books are the heart of knowledge. However, we know that teachers are at the heart of knowledge. Nevertheless, books are a door to another world and can help build imagination, confidence, and a great way to take your mind off of things. This is a list of books within the second-grade reading level that are highly rated and well-reviewed.
Second Grade Teacher T-Shirts
This is a list of some of the cutest teacher tees for the very best second-grade teachers out there.
*All of the t-shirt and read-aloud links are associated with the Amazon Affiliate program.
A second-grade school year is long and sometimes difficult. These students are getting older and therefore present a challenge that younger students wouldn’t. ETTC understands that, and we also understand how special it is to be a second-grade teacher. We are here for you and dedicated to making things as easy as we can for teachers.
The Teaching Tiny Humans Course is a free course through ETTC that helps primary teachers navigate those tricky situations at school. You can expect emails with tips, tricks, and ideas for your classroom along with freebies and support from the ETTC team of master teachers.
There are also active Facebook groups where thousands of teachers come together to support each other DAILY!
Ask to join the Fearless Second Grade Teachers: Education to the Core group for a 24/7 connection with your fellow second-grade teachers.
Written by – Korryna Sanchez
At Education to the Core, we exist to help our teachers build a stronger classroom as they connect with our community to find trusted, state-of-the-art resources designed by teachers for teachers. We aspire to be the world’s leading & most trusted community for educational resources for teachers. We improve the lives of every teacher and learner with the most comprehensive, reliable, and inclusive educational resources.
If you enjoyed what we have to offer at ETTC, be sure to join our email list so that you won’t miss a beat.