Writing: Common Core Writing for First Grade
I hold the belief that there is no other way to teach the English Language Arts without diving right into writing. In my classroom, we jump right into the writing process on the first day of school. Each quarter, I take a grade for each standard using the rubrics included in the product.
Each writing prompt comes with a rubric, a series of prompts for the entire year, graphic organizers for pre-writing, drafting, and finalizing the writing. The prompts are designed to keep some uniformity among your students while allowing them to venture out in their own style. I recommend sticking with a prompt for each writing assignment, and choosing a new prompt each quarter.
You will also find rubrics that I post on the wall, and I use as a cover sheet. These rubrics are very precise with the progression of the Common Core throughout the grade levels. 1 would be below Kindergarten. 2 is Kindergarten. 3 is First Grade, and 4 is Second Grade.
I hope you enjoy teaching writing as much as I do! Enjoy your year of Common Core Writing!
Common Core Standards:
1.W.1 Write Opinion pieces in which they introduce the topic or name the book they are writing about, state an opinion, supply a reason for the opinion, and provide some sense of closure.
1.W.2 Write informative/explanatory texts in which they name a topic, supply some facts about the topic, and provide some sense of closure.
1.W.3 Write narratives in which they recount two or more approximately sequenced events, include some details regarding what happened, use temporal words to signal event order, and provide some sense of closure.
More Bestsellers from me
2nd Grade Common Core Math and Language Assessment Bundle
Morning Work Bundle for First Grade
Community Helpers Unit
President’s Mini-Books and Printables
Holidays/Christmas Around the World Close Reads
Thank you for your purchase! By purchasing this resource, you are agreeing that the contents are the property of Emily Garcia/Education to the Core, and licensed to you only for classroom/personal use as a single user. I retain the copyright, and reserve all rights to this product.
• Use items (free and purchased) for your own classroom students, or your own personal use.
• Reference this product in blog posts, at seminars, professional development workshops, or other such venues PROVIDED there is both credit given to myself as the author and a link back to my website store is included in your post/presentation.
• Distribute and make copies of free items only to other teachers PROVIDED there is credit given to Emily Liscom Garcia and a link back to my website store.
You May Not:
• Claim this work as your own, alter the files in any way, or remove/attempt to remove the copyright/watermarks.
• Sell the files or combine them into another unit for sale/free.
• Post this document for sale/free elsewhere on the internet. (This includes Google Doc links on blogs.)
• Obtain this product through any of the channels listed above. Thank you for abiding by universally accepted codes of professional ethics while using this product.
If you have any questions about this resource, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org