Are your students struggling with reading words with consonant digraphs or nasals?
Do you find yourself with decodable readers that are less science of reading and more predictable text?
Are your decodables lacking a story? Do they use words/patterns your students haven’t learned yet, making it more challenging for your students than it needs to be?
Are you unsure of how to incorporate science of reading principles into your classroom? Wondering about how a science of reading-aligned small group looks?
Do you find yourself needing more reading and skill practice for your students?
Do you want your students to see themselves in their classroom materials, regardless of who they are?
Let us prep your small groups for you – and give you an easy-to-follow, simply-explained, diverse and inclusive, complete set for science of reading-aligned small groups and independent work!
Unlike some of those other decodables, ours only use words that fit the skills that have been introduced in our scope and sequence so far. We use high-frequency words that fit the phonics skill (or previous skills) and minimize those “tricky” words.
Our decodable readers offer an actual storyline to practice fluency right alongside the decoding practice and three levels of comprehension questions to meet your readers, no matter where they’re at. And for your older students who struggle with phonics? Our stories are high-interest, but easier readability for those students who need it. We’ve even included a set of higher-level thinking questions for those students who don’t need the extra reminder that they’re below level.
Perfect for primary teachers, our decodable readers provide you with everything you need to teach small groups and extend the learning into centers with independent work and word mapping activities. Each phonics skill comes with two readers, one set of word cards, one word mapping mat, and one no prep independent skill practice worksheet.
Not only that, but we’ve included an easy-to-follow routine that fits every book – with a four-step phonological awareness warm-up, a set of decodable and high-frequency words to map prior to reading, and a 7-page reader.
Follow that with the at-their-level comprehension page of your choice (select one of three) to ensure that your students are thinking about the story while they are reading and you have a complete small group lesson plan – at your fingertips.
And don’t even worry about your literacy centers – once your students understand word mapping, they can do this as a buddy center with the included mapping mats and word cards that follow each phonics skill.
Introduce the repeated independent activities that will spiral throughout the larger series and your students will have another engaging, easy-to-use, no prep activity for literacy centers.
- 16 Beginning and Ending Digraph and Nasal Fiction Decodable Readers – 7-page stories
- sh – The Ships Dash, The Fish at the Shop
- th – Thad the Sloth, This and That
- ch & tch – Champ and Chan, The Big Itch
- wh – What and Why?, What Is It, Whit?
- ph – Phil Graphs
- ck – Zack’s Snacks, The Mud Track
- ng – The King Sings, Ang’s Gift to Gram
- nk – Hank at the Bank, Pink the Skunk
- Review – At the Ranch
- Phonics routine for your small group instruction
- Comprehension Check (3 levels of difficulty, 1 additional page of book)
- Phonological Awareness Activities (1 additional page of book)
- Word Mapping Mats
- Word Mapping Cards – 1 set of 8 cards per phonics skill
- No-Prep Independent Work – 1 activity per phonics skill, each skill has a different style of activity including word sorts, mazes, I Spy, substitution and replacement, roll and read, cut and paste, word mapping, secret code words, word ladders, and more!
- Phonics Scope and Sequence
Teachers like you said…
“These are some of the best decodable books I have found. I love that they include comprehension skills! I was so impressed I purchased a membership to their website.”
“This truly changed my small group with routine with my struggling readers. I had been working hard to put together plans for my two lower groups, who are far behind the rest of my class. When I came across this, it fit every need those students currently have. I am so excited about this resource!”
“I love these decodable booklets! They have all I need in one item (PA, unpredictable text, and comprehension questions that can be differentiated). I plan on purchasing more.”
“I’m a private tutor, and our district is switching over from balanced literacy to structured literacy. I needed materials that would supplement learning in school, and as a private tutor, these are excellent resources that are within my budget! I recommend this resource, and will be purchasing, all of the sets as they are released.”
This will be part of a year-long series. Other phonics skills include or will include, but are not limited to:
This set will be bundled after all skills have been released. Buy now to save!
Like this resource?
Check out No Prep Phonics Books or No Prep Word Work!
Join the ETTC Primary Teacher Family to stay up to date on our most current projects!
Thank you for your purchase! By purchasing this resource, you are agreeing that the contents are the property of Emily Garcia/Education to the Core, and licensed to you only for classroom/personal use as a single user. I retain the copyright, and reserve all rights to this product.
- Use items (free and purchased) for your own classroom students, or your own personal use.
- Reference this product in blog posts, at seminars, professional development workshops, or other such venues PROVIDED there is both credit given to myself as the author and a link back to the Education to the Core shop is included in your post/presentation.
- Distribute and make copies of free items only to other teachers PROVIDED there is credit given to Emily Liscom Garcia and a link back to the Education to the Core shop.
You May Not:
- Claim this work as your own, alter the files in any way, or remove/attempt to remove the copyright/watermarks.
- Sell the files or combine them into another unit for sale/free.
- Post this document for sale/free elsewhere on the internet. (This includes Google Doc links on blogs.)
- Obtain this product through any of the channels listed above. Thank you for abiding by universally accepted codes of professional ethics while using this product.