We work hard to teach our students the correct way to spell words. We spend countless hours creating spelling practice activities that are fun and not just writing the word multiple times. Are you ready to get some of those hours back?! Take a look at these fabulous EDITABLE Spelling Activities we have created for your students to practice their word lists. Our Spelling Activities are super simple to use!!!
- Enter your spelling list into the first page of the packet.
- Choose the activities you want to use that week. (We have 150+ different pages to choose from!)
- Print those activities.
* Spelling Activity Line-Up *
1. SPELLING LISTThis is the page where you will type in your spelling words (up to 15 words). It can be sent home for students to study during the week, as well as for parents to cut apart and use as flashcards.
2. MAGIC WORDSWrite each spelling word in white crayon, then color over with a marker to watch them “magically” appear.
3. ALPHABETICAL ORDERWrite each spelling word in ABC order.
4. RAINBOW SPELLINGWrite each spelling word across the rainbow. How many colors can you use?
5. WRITE A SENTENCECreate a sentence that contains each spelling word.
6. SECRET CODEUse the picture code to spell each of your words.
7. ROLL A SPELLING WORDRoll the dice to see which way you are going to practice your spelling words. Which number did you roll the most?
8. WORD ILLUSTRATIONS
Students choose 4 different spelling words to illustrate. As an extension, can they write a sentence to go with the picture?
9. TRACE WORDSPractice each word as you trace it with different writing tools.
10. EMOJI SPELLINGUse the emoji picture code to spell each of your words.
11. PATTERN BLOCK SPELLINGUse the pattern block spelling words to create real-life pattern block spelling words!
12. VOWELS AND CONSONANTSColor all the vowels one color and the consonants another in each of the spelling words!
13. SCRABBLE SPELLINGMix math with spelling!! Students can play a bit of Scrabble by adding up the letters in each spelling word.
14. SPIN IT — SPELL ITCreate a spinner with paper clips. Students spin the spinner and spell the word that correlates with the number spun!
15. SPELLING MAZEMake your way through the maze. Check off your spelling words as you pass them!
16. SPELLING SPIRALStudents write each spelling word on the spiral. They keep going until they reach the middle.
17. SPELLING WORD SYLLABLESStudents practice separating their spelling words into syllables. Count on fingers, clap your hands, or stomp your feet to see how many syllables are in each word. Then circle the corresponding number.
18. SILLY WRITINGYour students will have so much fun writing their spelling words upside down and with their eyes closed!
19. PYRAMID SPELLINGBuild your spelling words pyramid style. Begin with the first letter and add one more letter as you write your word down the triangle.
20. SPELLING RHYMESCan your students think of a word that rhymes with each of their spelling words?
21. SPELLING COLORSStudents match the color word to the spelling word in order to write the correct word on the line under each crayon. Added bonus: students will learn to identify color words!
22. WORD SEARCHFor your higher-level kiddos, this word search is great! They write their words either across, down, or as a challenge, diagonal on the grid. Then place random letters among the words. Share with a partner to see if they can find all of your “hidden” words!
23. WORD ARTFor the more creative students, color in the fancy letters and decorate around each of the spelling words.
24. CREATE A STORYHow many spelling words can your students include in a story? Write a short story that makes sense and illustrate it.
25. KEYBOARD WORDSUse the computer keyboard to practice typing your spelling words. Can you put your fingers on the correct keys?
26. STAMPING SPELLING WORDSEverybody loves dot markers! Grab a few different colors and stamp your spelling words as you read them.
27. SYNONYMS AND ANTONYMSFor a more challenging activity, connect spelling practice with vocabulary work by finding a synonym and antonym for each spelling word.
28. SIGN LANGUAGE SPELLINGStudents get to learn sign language as they practice each letter of their spelling words with signs.
29. How Many SoundsStudents can count the sounds/phonemes in each word as they map it!
30. Tic-Tac-Toe SpellingPerfect for partner spelling activities. Your students can each take a color and play tic-tac-toe with their spelling words.
At Education to the Core, we exist to help our teachers build a stronger classroom as they connect with our community to find trusted, state-of-the-art resources designed by teachers for teachers. We aspire to be the world’s leading & most trusted community for educational resources for teachers. We improve the lives of every teacher and learner with the most comprehensive, reliable, and inclusive educational resources. If you enjoyed what we have to offer at ETTC, be sure to join our email list, so you won’t miss a beat. We are here to help with all your resource needs. Become a Premium Member of Education to the Core and receive immediate access to thousands of printable activities. For one small monthly or annual fee, everything ETTC can be at your fingertips all of the time.